tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 11 07:28:09 2006

Re: KLBC: Translating Dilbert

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

pm5 wrote:
>I want to not only Klingonize the business jargons, but
>make them funny for the Klingons, too.
>
>Where do I find jokes in Klingon culture?  Much of the fun in TDK and
>CK are the manifestaion of a completely different culture from
>Terrans'.  But what would actually make a Klingon laugh?

Aside from the two jokes in "Power Klingon" lay'tel SIvten provided, I know
of one other:

   There is a joke, Maltz recalled, about someone trying to
   lick some food off of a stirring stick while wearing shoes.
   Maltz laughed, but didn't tell the joke. (HQ 10.2:11)

Okrand has written in HolQeD 4.2:pg 5-6:

   ... that old Groucho Marx joke, you know, "I just shot an
   elephant in my pajamas... and how he got in my pajamas I'll
   never know."  You can say that in Klingon, no problem;
   they'll get the joke.  There's not many jokes you can get
   to translate into Klingon, but that one would work.

But ultimately I don't think we can really know, as Worf (who had been
raised by humans since he was a boy) admitted in TNG "The Naked Now":

         DATA
    Confirmed, sir. And there is a rather peculiar limerick
     being delivered by someone in the shuttlecraft bay. I am
    not sure I understand it...
       (quoting)
    "There was a young lady from Venus
      whose body was shaped like --"