tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 10 19:54:12 2006

Re: KLBC: Translating Dilbert

On Oct 10, 2006, at 8:22 PM, pm5 wrote:

> Where do I find jokes in Klingon culture?  Much of the fun in TDK and
> CK are the manifestaion of a completely different culture from
> Terrans'.  But what would actually make a Klingon laugh?

Aside from the few jokes heard on the Power Klingon tape, we don't
know much about Klingon humor.

We do have practical experience with what makes Klingon*ists* laugh,
however.  Come to a qep'a' (or a large qepHom) and find out for
yourself!  The best I can explain is that it often involves the
development of a recurring theme with variations.  I seem to recall
something about a {yIH jub} "immortal tribble" and the random
utterance of {roSchu' targh} "the targ will lick it up" in the recent
past.  It's been a couple of years since I noticed anyone mentioning
a quiet pause to check for approaching {Ha'DIbaH tIn}, though.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level