tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 22 07:37:24 2006

Re: Any new vocab from the qep'a'?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh (quoting SuSvaj)
> >[Okrand] canonized the word {yan} from Yan Isleth "Brotherhood of
> >the Sword" (SuSvaj at qep'a' 2006; cf. DS9 "Apocalypse Rising")

mIq'ey:
>>{yan} appears in KGT, as "sword" and "use or manipulate a sword".  Is
>>this different in some way?
>>I assume that Isleth means "brotherhood".  I haven't found this anywhere
>>and it's not a Klingon spelling, so I assume it's a Federation Standard
>>transcription.  Does a canonical Klingon version exist?

SuSvaj:
>"yan" as a noun is in KGT also.  What Okrand confirmed to me was that he
>did take the word yan from yan Isleth (Apocalypse Rising) and that he did
>think that he had also come up with a proper spelling/pronunciation for
>Isleth (meaning brotherhood).

It's possible that the Paramount writer meant the reverse.  "Isleth" could
be a garbled version of {'etlh} "sword, blade" which is listed in
TKD.  *yan* or *yanis* might have been intended to mean
"brotherhood".  Okrand however analyzed *yan isleth* as "the sword's
brotherhood" and created {yan} "sword" and then the homophonous verb {yan}
"wield, use or manipulate a sword".

If "brotherhood" is meant to be a group of closely-knit "brother" warriors
and not the relationship between genetic brothers {loDnI'pu'}, then Okrand
also created the similar {'obe'} "order, group officially recognized by
government" from the "Order of the Bat'leth" - the highest honor that the
government bestows on a Klingon - also mentioned in DS9 "Apocalypse
Rising".  (Cf. the discussion on {betleH 'obe'} in KGT p. 182.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level