tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 14 13:29:43 2006

Re: SoSlI': tera'ngan mu'qaD veS

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID wrote:
>Yo mamma's so fat, when she sits around the house, she *really* sits
>around the house.
><<pI'qu' SoSlI': qachDaq ba'taHvIS qachDaq ba'bej>>
>(Does this play on the ambiguity of <-Daq> which could be "at" or "on"
>translate the English pun?

Only for speakers of Federation Standard who have learned Klingon.  I don't
think a Klingon would even understand the difference.  Okrand on {-Daq}:

   This suffix indicates that something is happening (or has
   happened or will happen) in the vicinity of the noun to
   which it is attached. It is normally translated by an English
   preposition: "to", "in", "at", "on". The exact translation is
   determined by the meaning of the whole sentence.  [TKD 27]

To specify the precise spatial relationship, Klingons use the area
nouns:  "Dung "area above" (i.e. "on"), {retlh "area beside" (i.e. "at"),
{qoD} "[area] inside" (i.e. "in"), etc.  (You know, I bet Klingons learning
English have a problem selecting the correct pronoun; to them it's all
{-Daq} "vicinity of"!)

>Anyone think of a better way?)

How about using {-bej}:

   qachDaq ba'taHvIS, qachDaq ba'bejtaH!

Although the order of suffixes requires {-bejtaH}, I think it would sound
better as a joke if we could say *{-taHbej} with the twist at the very end.

>Yo mamma's breath smells so bad, when she yawns her teeth duck.
><<He'So'qu' SoSlI' tlhuH: HobDI' DoH Ho'Du'Daj>>
>(Or are bad breath and bad teeth considered to be attractive in Klingon
>culture?)

No idea, but certainly having food in your teeth after a meal isn't
considered a faux pas:

   Also, at the end of a meal, one should avoid picking bits
   of food out of one's teeth. To do so is to insult the cook
   by implying that the food was not well prepared and that the
   eater wants to get the flavors out of his mouth. (KGT 100)

Having nice sharp teeth, though, is desired.  Once Worf's tooth sharpener
was stolen (DS9 "Bar Association") and later Worf was so taken with Nog's
Ferengi tooth sharpener that he bought it for himself (DS9 "Little Green Men").

>Yo mamma's so stupid, she lost a finger and can now only count to nine.
><<QIpqu' SoSlI': wa' nItlhDaj pe'lu'chu'mo', DaH Hut neH toghlaH>>
>(How do I express "count *up to*"?)

We don't know.  A clumsy way around this might be:

   wa' nItlh Hutlhmo', toghlaHchu'be'
   because she lacks one finger, she can't count properly

>Yo mamma's so fat, her throat couldn't be slit in four thousand nights
>by a running man.
><<pI'qu' SoSlI': qaStaHvIS loS SaD ram HughDaj SIjlaHbe' qetbogh loD>>

Actually, this is good.  The best of the lot!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level