tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 06 03:01:30 2006

Klingon WOTD: 'er'In (noun)

speersd ([email protected])

This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, November 6, 2006.

Category: General

Klingon word:   'er'In
Part of Speech: noun
Definition:     end
Source: HQ (12:2 p6)
Swedish:

Additional Notes:
HolQeD 12:2, p. 6: "Maltz's Reward: Part I."  There are two general words used to refer to the end of an object that has discernible length (like a stick or a piece of string): {megh'an} and {'er'In}.  The words seem to be used interchangeably when referring to only one end of the object, but once either {megh'an} or {'er'In} has been used for one end, that is the only word used for that end (within that sentence or conversation or bit of discourse).  The speaker or participants in a conversation do not go back and forth between the two.  Similarly, if one means either end of the stick and it doesn't make any difference which end, the same rule applies: Eitehr word is fine, but, for that discourse, only the one is used.

If a distinction is being made between the two ends, then both words are used.  It is not the case, however, that, even during the conversation, {megh'an} is used for one specific end and {'er'In} for the other.  They may flip-flop, as long as the intent of the speaker is to keep the ends distinct.

The Klingon Word Of The Day is brought to you by Holtej ([email protected]).  Please contact me with additions, corrections or comments.

--Holtej 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ
http://www.speers.nu/Holtej/klingon/faq.htm

Back to archive top level