tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 05 06:05:28 2006

RE: A tangled knot of subordinate clauses

Agnieszka Solska ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

mu'tlheghDaj lughmoHmeH latlh QIn lab McArdle/mIq'ey:

: Correction:
:
: Doch vIjatlhlaw'pu'bogh Dayaj 'e' DaHar 'e' vISov
: 'ach Doch vIHechpu'bogh 'oHbe' Doch'e' DaQoypu'bogh
: 'e' Datlhojbejbe'

tlhIngan Hol jatlhtaHvIS vay', *Dochmey* jatlhbe', *mu'mey* jatlh.

To the best of my knowledge, the word {Doch} indicates things understood as
material objects. Based on the available canon examples, it is hard to say
what else, if anything, {Doch} can refer to. We have no reason to believe it
is as versatile as the English "thing". My small Webster's dictionary lists
as many as 17(!) uses of the word "thing". I seriously doubt they can all
apply to {Doch}:

1.  a person, animal.
2.  some object that is not or cannot be specifically designated:
    (Hand me that thing)
3.  anything that is or may become an object of thought:
    (things of the spirit)
4.  <things> matters; affairs:  (How are things?)
5.  a fact, circumstance, or state of affairs:
    (It is a curious thing.)
6.  an action, event, or performance:
    (Biking is a fun thing.)
7.  a particular; detail:  (You left out some things.)
8.  aim; objective:
    (The thing is to enjoy it.)
9.  an article of clothing:
     (not a thing to wear.)
10.  <things>.
      a.  implements; utensils: (the breakfast things.)
      b.  personal possessions: (Pack your things!.)
11.  a task; chore:    (things to do.)
12.  a living being; creature.
13.  a thought; observation: (a thing or two to say.)
14.  a peculiar attitude toward something:
     (She has a thing about cats.)
15.  something represented, as distinguished from a word,
     symbol, or idea representing it.
16.  Informal. issue; subject; topic (usu. preceded by a noun):
     (the leadership thing; the peace thing.)
17.  <the thing>.
      a.  something that is correct or fashionable:
          (it's the new thing.)
      b. that which is expedient:
          (Do the right thing.)

The canon exaples for {Doch} I was able to find include:

     Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH? [TKD, p. 171]
     How much do you want for that?

     Dochvetlh vISoplaHbe'. [TKD, p. 172]
     I can't eat that.

     Dochvetlh vItlhutlhlaHbe'. [TKD, p. 172]
     I can't drink that.

     chay' Dochvam vIlo'?   [TKD, p. 172]
     What do I do with this?  (i.e., How do I use this?)

     nuqDaq Dochvam vIlan? [TKD, p. 172]
     What do I do with this?  (i.e., Where do I put this)

     Dochvam nuq? (CK)
     What is this?

     Dochvetlh yItlhap! (PK)
     Take that!

     juHwIjDaq Dochvetlh vItlhap. (PK)
     I will take *that* to my home.

     naDev Dochvetlh qem!  (PK, clipped pet command)
     Bring that here!

     naDev Dochvetlh qemqu'! (PK, pet command)
     I really mean it this time, bring that here!

'ISqu'