tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 04 15:34:00 2006

Re: A tangled knot of subordinate clauses

McArdle ([email protected])

Correction:

  Doch vIjatlhlaw'pu'bogh Dayaj 'e' DaHar 'e' vISov 'ach Doch vIHechpu'bogh 'oHbe' Doch'e' DaQoypu'bogh 'e' Datlhojbejbe'
  (left off the first word)

McArdle <[email protected]> wrote:
  Honored warriors:

Assume sufficient reason exists to produce a Klingon translation of the quip "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." Perhaps it appeals to the elusive Klingon sense of humor.

My attempt at this is

vIjatlhlaw'pu'bogh Dayaj 'e' DaHar 'e' vISov
'ach Doch vIHechpu'bogh 'oHbe' Doch'e' DaQoypu'bogh 'e' Datlhojbejbe'
As you see, "what you think I said" gave me some trouble. For lack of anything better I settled on "what I apparently said". Similarly, I rendered "I'm not sure you realize" as "you do not certainly realize." These may be adequate, but I'd like to know if there's a way to express the idea that the saying is not just apparent, but apparent to _you_, and the realizing is not just uncertain, but uncertain to _me_. Nothing I've found in TKD (my sole reference at this point) seems to fit the bill.

Are there better ways of saying "what" (= "that which") than {Doch} plus a verb with {-bogh}? Is there a word for "statement" or "message" that would be better than {Doch} in this construction? Again, TKD seems to be a little short on options. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm also not sure of the usage of some of the verbs, particularly {Hech}. TKD gives this as "intend, mean to," which I don't find particularly clear. Can it be used with a nominal object, or is it construed only with verbs? How does the latter work syntactically? Do examples appear in canon? Sov luneH tlhobbogh yabDu' (if brain = body part, or perhaps {yabpu'} if mind = person by synecdoche)

Qapla'

McA ( mIq'ey }

Get your email and see which of your friends are online - Right on the  new Yahoo.com

Back to archive top level