tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 04 18:14:49 2006

Hech canon < Re: A tangled knot of subordinate clauses

In a message dated 11/4/2006 5:40:50 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> I'm also not sure of the usage of some of the verbs, particularly {Hech}.
> TKD gives this as "intend, mean to," which I don't find particularly clear.
> Can it be used with a nominal object, or is it construed only with verbs? How
> does the latter work syntactically? Do examples appear in canon? Sov luneH
> tlhobbogh yabDu' (if brain = body part, or perhaps {yabpu'} if mind = person by
> synecdoche)

I found this canon for {Hech}:
Klingons are a proud race, and we intend to go on being proud. =
Hem tlhIngan Segh 'ej maHemtaH 'e' wIHech. (TKW p. 13)

Do not kill an animal unless you intend to eat it. =
Ha'DIbaH DaSop 'e' DaHechbe'chugh yIHoHQo'. (TKW p. 163)

Both examples are translated as 'intend', and both are followed by {'e'},
which is preceded by the clause indicating whatever the subject of {Hech}
intended.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level