tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 27 08:21:09 2006

Re: <Bloodwine> tlhIngan

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Shane MiQogh:
>  'Iw luchenmoHlu' 'e', tlhIngan?

ter'eS:
>>Maybe you could give your English translation of this; I'm having some
>>trouble trying to figure
>>out what you are saying. The first phrase doesn't need a subject, and
>>{'e'} is only an
>>object anyway, and the second phrase looks like 2 unrelated nouns.

Shane MiQogh:
>tlhIngan is used to describe the noun. That's why... i used 'e' to
>seperate it so when i said it there wouldn't be confusing thinking they
>was the "Klingon Bloodwine". I was asking if supposedly Klingon bloodwine
>was made with blood.

Ah, I see.  {'e'} is referring to the subject line.  Keep in mind that
{'e'} refers to a previous sentence or thought used as an object.  If you
want "it" to refer to the noun "bloodwine" - which turns out to be two
words in Klingon {'Iw HIq} - just use {'oH}:

   chay' 'Iw HIq chenmoHlu'?
   How is bloodwine made (formed)?

   chay' 'oH chenmoHlu'?
   How is it made?

Note that with {-lu'} you have to use the "opposite" verb prefix (see TKD:38f):

   'Iw HIq luchenmoHlu'
   bloodwines (plural) are formed

   'Iw HIq chenmoHlu'
   bloodwine (singular) is formed

BTW {vut} "cook" is better:

   Actually, "cook" is a convenient but misleading term. The Klingon
   verb {vut}, customarily rendered as "cook" in Federation Standard
   and used in reference to food only, might better be translated simply
   as "prepare, make, fix, assemble" in order to avoid association of
   the word with heat... In fact, {vut} can also be used in reference to
   making a beverage, whether simply mixing ingredients together (such
   a putting cream in coffee) or starting from scratch (such as brewing
   ale). (KGT 83)

So, to translate Shane's question:

   chay' 'Iw HIq vutlu'?
   How is bloodwine prepared?

   'Iw HIq luvuttaHvIS tlhInganpu', 'Iw lulo'bej'a'?
   When Klingons prepare bloodwine, do they really use blood?

   'Iw HIq luvuttaHvIS, 'Iwna' lulo''a' tlhInganpu'?
   When preparing bloodwine, do Klingons use real blood?

And to finally answer his question, here's what Okrand has said on the subject:

   Domestic {HIq} is distilled from a number of different kinds of grain
   ({tIr}), with some additional constituents (of both plant and animal
   origin, including {'Iw}, "blood") adding flavor and strength. {'Iw HIq}
   (bloodwine) is served warm to hot (best is {porgh Hat} - "body tempera-
   ture", though it is not clear whose body) and should be very dark red
   in color. [...] Animal blood ({'Iw}) is found primarily in alcoholic
   beverages, but the milk ({nIm}) of some creatures (such as the {targh}
   [targ]) is combined with other ingredients to form drinks of rather
   complex flavor, though it is seldom consumed by itself. (KGT 95)

The question now becomes:  What kind of blood do Klingons use in
bloodwine?  Maltz should know.  If we lucky, he's what the Klingons call a
{'Iw HIq pIn}, or somebody who knows all about bloodwine (slang: literally
"bloodwine boss").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons