tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 26 06:11:41 2006

Re: Slench... SuvwI'vaD ghaH?

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu', jIja':
>- watch your number order ({tupmey wejmaH} = "minute #30", {wejmaH
>tupmey} = "30 minutes")

mujang Shane MiQogh, ja':
>On the contrary, in TKD, it states that the number comes before the noun
>(since it is to be counted as a seperate object) and the number to the
>right
>would be used to show It's number or value...
>EX(straight from TKD): loS puqpu' or loS puq Four Children
>vaghmaH yuQmey or vaghmaH yuQ Fifty Planets
>DuS wa' topedo tube number 1
>wa' DuS One torpedo tube

That's what I said. {vaghmaH yuQmey} "fifty planets": same order as English.
So if you wanted to say "Thirty minutes", you'd say {wejmaH tupmey}. {tupmey
wejmaH} is "minute number 30" in the same way as {DuS wa'} is "torpedo tube
number one".

jangtaH, ja':
>Hm.... Qap might have been the word i wanted to say, but of all things why
>DID
>i say jIH? This happens alot wiht me... considering i liek to peice
>together
>klingon sentances from backwords in, and when i make correction (since i
>can't
>say it literal) and have to change it to antoher way of sayin the same
>thing,
>sometimes i forget to change the rest of the sentance too... jIjIH might
>have
>been one of those cases...

That's OK. We all make mistakes sometimes. {{:)

>My intention was to say "YOU" over anyone (for more effect resons)

But we aren't the ones playing the game: you are. Anyway, your first word in
that sentence was {muSuvtaHvIS} "while it fights me", so the rest of the
sentence should probably refer to you as well: {muSuvtaHvIS vIcholchugh
vIHoHlaHbe'} "while it fights me, if I get close to it, I cannot kill it".

>but i also (for effect resons which are really stupid at this point in my
>Klingon
>ability)

Stupid? Absolutely not. Effect is just as much a part of Klingon as any
other language, and it's good that you're conscious of that.

>I havn't even learned that in french yet. I'm only in french one, but
>considered good at what little i know. Enough to hold really really
>simple conversations as if i was fluent. I with my Klingon came to me
>as well as french. lol

Well, *I* wish my French would come to me as easy as my Klingon does. {{:S

"On" in French is often used where what's called the passive voice would be
used in English: "here meat is eaten" = French "ici on mange de la viande" =
Klingon {naDev Ha'DIbaH Soplu'}. It's used when you want to take the focus
off the subject of the sentence. English doesn't really have a direct
equivalent, but the pronoun "one" comes close: "here, one eats meat".

>but i did want to say "if you are close" rather than "if you close in"

Better, then, would have been {Sumchugh} "if it is close" instead of
{Dacholchugh} "if you get near it".

>and not thinking right, i never did put enough thought into it to think
>they are
>synonyms anyway.. but you *CAN* use pronouns for emphesis on verbs (if you
>already have a prefix.)

Yes, but that's not the problem. All I'm saying is that your prefixes are
referring to the wrong person. If you're the one playing the game, then
you're also the one that is getting near the monster, and you're also the
one who can't kill it. Saying {DaHoHlaHbe'} means that I, QeS, am playing
the game - which I'm not. {vIHoHlaHbe'} would be more correct.

>See, for emphasis resons, i'm saying "you" in particular, because if you
>say
>some one gets close, it implies that it is impossible, if i say "you" it
>implies
>that it surely will kill you.

Emphasis in Klingon doesn't work that way. Using an indefinite subject in
Klingon is a lot freer than it is in English: just because you're not
specifying the subject doesn't mean that the entire sentence becomes somehow
hypothetical or unreal. {Soplu'} and {jISop} both describe an actual event
of eating; the difference is that in the first one, I'm not telling you who
is eating, just that *someone* is. In the second, I'm pinning it down to
*me* {jIH}. Do you understand? (This takes a bit of getting used to,
particularly since English doesn't have a close equivalent to the Klingon
{-lu'}. Probably the passive voice is the closest equivalent.)

jIja'taH, jIja':
>Given your further clarification ("if you fight like a klingon it'll kill
>you"), I would reword this as "when you fight, if you behave like a
>Klingon, it will kill you". This can be done with three fairly basic
>Klingon sentences; do you want to see if you can translate it? (Here's a
>clue: see what you can do with the verb {Da} "behave like, behave as".)

jangtaH Shane MiQogh, ja':
>Hm... DaSuvDI' bIDachugh DuHoH.

Close, and a quite good attempt; you've just forgotten to stick in the word
for "Klingon". {tlhIngan DaDachugh} "if you behave like a Klingon". I think
{-taHvIS} would probably be preferable to {-DI'}, too. Other than that,
majQa'!

ja'taH Shane MiQogh, ja':
>oops.. I shoulda put it on leSSov anyway... lol It was ment to say "you
>need
>to look at things in a differnt forsight (point of view).

{-Daq} refers only to physical location: in a ship, on a planet... you can't
use {-Daq} for things like "in foresight" or "in Klingon". Anyway, I think I
would have just said {latlh qechmey vIqelnIS} "I need to consider other
ideas" and saved a bit of typing. {{;) (Foresight refers to one's ability to
see ahead, to predict outcomes, not point of view. I'm not sure how one
would say "point of view" in Klingon, but {leSSov} probably isn't it.)

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Shopping made easy @ tradingpost.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etradingpost%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Freferrer%3DnmsnHMetagv1&_t=753082530&_r=emailtagline&_m=EXT