tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 26 11:34:04 2006

Re: Slench... SuvwI'vaD ghaH?

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:    >That's what I said. {vaghmaH yuQmey} "fifty planets": same order as >English.
>So if you wanted to say "Thirty minutes", you'd say {wejmaH tupmey}. >{tupmey
>wejmaH} is "minute number 30" in the same way as {DuS wa'} is "torpedo >tube
>number one".

  Isn't wejmaH tupmey what i put?

  >>I havn't even learned that in french yet. I'm only in french one, but
>>considered good at what little i know. Enough to hold really really
>>simple conversations as if i was fluent. I with my Klingon came to me
>>as well as french. lol

>Well, *I* wish my French would come to me as easy as my Klingon does. >{{:S

  lol

>Better, then, would have been {Sumchugh} "if it is close" instead of
>{Dacholchugh} "if you get near it".

  That would work... just seems funny to me since the creature of subject is pretty much stationary.

>>and not thinking right, i never did put enough thought into it to think
>>they are
>>synonyms anyway.. but you *CAN* use pronouns for emphesis on verbs >>(if you
>>already have a prefix.)

Yes, but that's not the problem. All I'm saying is that your prefixes are
referring to the wrong person. If you're the one playing the game, then
you're also the one that is getting near the monster, and you're also the
one who can't kill it. Saying {DaHoHlaHbe'} means that I, QeS, am playing
the game - which I'm not. {vIHoHlaHbe'} would be more correct.

>See, for emphasis resons, i'm saying "you" in particular, because if you
>say
>some one gets close, it implies that it is impossible, if i say "you" it
>implies
>that it surely will kill you.

jIja'taH, jIja':
>Given your further clarification ("if you fight like a klingon it'll kill
>you"), I would reword this as "when you fight, if you behave like a
>Klingon, it will kill you". This can be done with three fairly basic
>Klingon sentences; do you want to see if you can translate it? (Here's a
>clue: see what you can do with the verb {Da} "behave like, behave as".)

>Close, and a quite good attempt; you've just forgotten to stick in the word
>for "Klingon". {tlhIngan DaDachugh} "if you behave like a Klingon". I think
>{-taHvIS} would probably be preferable to {-DI'}, too. Other than that,
>majQa'!

  Whoops... X'D how could i miss that?

>{-Daq} refers only to physical location: in a ship, on a planet... you can't
>use {-Daq} for things like "in foresight" or "in Klingon". Anyway, I think I
>would have just said {latlh qechmey vIqelnIS} "I need to consider other
>ideas" and saved a bit of typing. {{;) (Foresight refers to one's ability to
>see ahead, to predict outcomes, not point of view. I'm not sure how one
>would say "point of view" in Klingon, but {leSSov} probably isn't it.)

  Getting used to hte lack of a locative for feminin objects (considering everything of substance is considered masculine) like time sight that sort of thing, is a bit difficult. lol