tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 21 15:19:38 2006

Re: "type 0" suffixes

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:
>As a noun-noun construction {loD nal} would mean "man's spouse", which
>addresses a possible area of Klingon culture not previously addressed to my
>knowledge (namely same-sex marriages).

Not necessarily. IIRC the noun-noun construction is not only limited to
possessive constructions, but may be used for all types of genitives,
including what would be translated as an apposition in English: "man
spouse"; "woman doctor"; "food fight". We have the parallel canon term {peQ
chem} "magnetic field" (i.e. of all the different fields there are, it's the
one pertaining to magnetism). The lack of adjectives in Klingon for "male"
and "magnetic" means that this is the simplest way to do this sort of
construction. {loD nal} *could* mean "man's spouse", but it doesn't
necessarily have to.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

mycareer.com.au: http://www.mycareer.com.au/?s_cid=213596  Land the Job

Back to archive top level