tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 27 07:22:23 2006

Re: rejmorgh yIDaQo'!

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

lay'tel SIvten:
> >> {nepba'} seems more to the point.

Voragh:
> > You would think so, but I imagine Okrand was trying to be a bit
> > unpredictable.

ghunchu'wI':
>I think it's more likely that he was doing a bit of backfitting to an
>accidental extra syllable spoken by the actor in the Next Generation
>episode.  It sounds a lot like {nepwI' Daba'}, but if you listen
>carefully and watch his mouth, he's apparently saying "nepwee ga-ba",
>which I figure was originally {nepwI' ghaH} in the script.

You're probably right.  The idea that it was a back-fit occurred to me
too.  tevram posted once that the line is "yI-Har-Qo! nep-we' ghaH!" in the
script of TNG "A Matter of Honor".

> > We have only two other examples of the under-utilized verb
> > {Da} "behave as, act in the manner of" in canon:...
>
>Both {Da} and {-ba'} (v6) appear in the addendum.  Most of the
>addendum's words can be found in the early TNG episodes and sixth
>Trek movie.

Pity he hasn't used {Da} more - if only because it's different from English
which makes Klingon that much more interesting.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level