tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 21 07:32:06 2006

Re: cannon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun:
> >>Are all Klingon words from the novel Sarek cannon? i.e. <chal> flowers?

ghunchu'wI':
> >Since {chal} means "sky" in our lexicon, I doubt "flowers" is a valid
> >meaning.

QeS:
>"Flowers" isn't the meaning of the word, but apparently a type of flower.
>Viz:
>
>   "When you are my wife, your beauty will blossom like /chal/
>    flowers in spring." (Sarek, p. 58)
>
>Perhaps the flowers are the colour of the sky,

Clever.  Like our color "sky blue", perhaps?  Keep in mind that in the TV
episodes the Klingon sky as seen from orbit is usually a swamp-green color.

QeS:
>Ann Crispin states in the introduction to Sarek that Okrand is responsible
>for the Klingon therein. I could believe it, too, as the pet name {'Iwoy}
>"beloved blood" appears in the novel (p. 312), a stereotypical example of a
>KGT-style body-part pet name - but Sarek was published three years *before*
>KGT came out.

Another correctly formed {bang pong} in SAREK is {targhoy}, which later
appeared as "targy" in KGT (p.33).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons