tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 20 17:37:26 2006

Re: cannon

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' naHQun, ja':
>Are all Klingon words from the novel Sarek cannon? i.e. <chal> flowers?

Ann Crispin states in the introduction to Sarek that Okrand is responsible
for the Klingon therein. I could believe it, too, as the pet name {'Iwoy}
"beloved blood" appears in the novel (p. 312), a stereotypical example of a
KGT-style body-part pet name - but Sarek was published three years *before*
KGT came out. The word {norgh} "shark; vicious marine predator" also appears
in Sarek, but in what we consider as canon, not until KGT.

Nevertheless, it is important to remember that the typographers did a pretty
good job of mangling the Klingon in it; /BaHwil'/ for {baHwI'} "gunner" (the
name of a ship) springs to mind. Also, almost all the capital I's in the
book were exchanged for lowercase L. An understandable error from mere
Terran typesetters. {{:)

jang ghunchu'wI', ja':
>Since {chal} means "sky" in our lexicon, I doubt "flowers" is a valid
>meaning.

"Flowers" isn't the meaning of the word, but apparently a type of flower.
Viz:

"When you are my wife, your beauty will blossom like /chal/ flowers in
spring." (Sarek, p. 58)

Perhaps the flowers are the colour of the sky, or perhaps the plant is
called {chal}, rather than the flowers. But whichever way one goes, just
because {chal} is already in our lexicon doesn't necessarily mean that there
can be no other noun meaning. {nargh} springs to mind.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level