tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 21 06:56:34 2006

Re: cannon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

nuQum naHQun:
>Are all Klingon words from the novel Sarek cannon?  i.e. <chal> flowers?

I'm not sure.  IIRC she acknowledges in the preface Okrand provided a few
words and expressions,    but I suspect she may have added a couple of her
own later.  E.g. her use of the endearment suffix {-oy} on a proper name
during the throes of passion: {Pityroy!}  (Note the obviously "alien"
pronunciation of Peter's name by Valdyr.) However she also uses {-oy}
correctly, as QeS wrote in another thread:

   In the novel _Sarek_ by Ann C. Crispin, the Klingon character,
   Valdyr, uses the pet name {'Iwoy} (untranslated in the novel,
   but obviously from {'Iw} "blood") for Peter Kirk. This is inter-
   esting for two reasons: firstly, Crispin credits Marc Okrand with
   the Klingon phrases and words in the book; and secondly, _Sarek_
   was published some three years *before* _Klingon for the Galactic
   Traveller_.

Another correctly formed pet name in the novel is {targhoy}, which later
appeared in KGT (p.33) as "targy".

Other words from SAREK I have are:

{be'joy'}  ritualized "torture by women" (n.)

{chal}     beautiful flower which blossoms in the Klingon spring

{Heghba'}  ritual suicide (N.B. use {Heghbat} listed in KGT)

{HoHwI'}   "killer" (name of a ship)

{lam be'}  (an untranslated epithet)

{norgh}    "a dangerous Klingon predator" (listed in KGT as "*norg*
             [type of animal, a sharklike sea creature]")

some geographical names:

{HatlhHurgh}    (city? town?)

{Du'Hurgh}      Kamarag's ancestral estate on Kronos (GN)

{tengchaH jav}  *TengchaH Jav* (the spaceport near Kamarag's ancestral
                  compound {Du'Hurgh})

and some Klingon used passim in dialogue:

   "He's one {Hu'tegh} fine gunner!"

   "Uuughh!" she grunted. "I had to let those {veQ-Nuj} handle me.
    I'm sorry now I just didn't kill them."

   "She's not dwelling in the past, like this {qoH}."

   "{HIja'!} she whispered, between kisses. "{MevQo', Pityr...}"

   "Halt now, or we will kill this female maghwI'!"

The capital /M/ is no doubt a "correction" by the Simon & Schuster copy
editors, who routinely capitalize tlhIngan Hol words in proper names and at
the beginning of sentences in many, many Trek novels.

>Do we know if MO provided any Klingon words for the I.K.S. Gorkon books?
>i.e. <ngIS> lubricant used on disruptor cannons?

I don't know.  If you have the books, could you compile a list of these
words for us?  Thanks.

[BTW cannon - spelled with two N's - is a big gun; {tal} in Klingon.  Canon
- with one N - is what you're asking about in the subject line.  We use it
in two senses here:

   1) a rule or especially body of rules or principles generally established
   as valid and fundamental in a field or art or philosophy; "the neoclassical
   canon"; "canons of polite society"

   2) a collection of books accepted as holy scripture especially the books
   of the Bible recognized by any Christian church as genuine and inspired

If you're a Catholic, think of "canon law".  (I had to comment, but it's a
pet peeve of mine.  After all, I am the Ca'Non Master!)]

>and a while back, someone quoted a source as "STX"
>I don't know that one, what is it-and can I get the whole text somehow?

That was probably me.  "STX" is my own abbreviation for the Star Trek: The
Experience communique.  ("STE" is usually used for the _Star Trek:
Encyclopedia_.)  Here's what I have about it in my notes:

"I don't recall ever seeing it told on the list, but the tlhIngan Hol
translation of the STAR TREK: THE EXPERIENCE COMMUNIQUE is (partially)
canon ... After Voragh had once mentioned that we never did get definite
confirmation of who did the translation, I made a mental note to ask Marc
Okrand at the following qep'a'. I asked Marc about it at last year's qep'a'
... When I asked Okrand if he had done the translation, he said yes.
However, he added that after he had submitted his initial translation, he
caught some errors in it, and sent a corrected version to the STAR TREK:
THE EXPERIENCE people. He said that unfortunately, the un-corrected version
apparently was the one that was printed." (taD, 5/03/2003)

The Las Vegas Hilton's Star Trek: The Experience (www.startrekexp.com)
sends out regular email updates and announcements to all who register. This
a transcript of one communique sent 7 Nov 1997:

                            **** tlhIngan De' ****

tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh.

laS veghaS HIltonDaq «Hov leng: yIjeSchu'» qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH HIlton
yIghoS.

  *  tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch.
  *  DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'Daq Dajollu'.
  *  loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv.
  *  quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv.

jolbogh ghom wa'DIch DamuvlaHmeH De' DaneHchugh, Se'vam yIjIHtaH.

                       **** STARFLEET TRANSLATION ****

Save this Stardate: Sunday, January 4, 1998

Come celebrate the grand opening of Star Trek: The Experience (tm) at the
Las Vegas Hilton.

  *  Be the first to journey to the 24th century
  *  Get beamed aboard the USS Enterprise
  *  Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space
  *  Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant

Stay tuned for information on how you can be among the first to beam aboard!

Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level