tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 06 13:55:19 2006

Re: Questions in tlhIngan syntax (II) Double superlatives???

In a message dated 6/6/2006 3:31:29 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> There are
> certainly sub-standard grammatical forms in Russian and it's dialects, but
> AFAIK using double negatives like we do in English isn't part of
> them.

In English (and Esperanto) multiple negatives multiply together (two
negatives make a positive); in most other languages they add (without creating
emphasis).
Russian multiple negatives are the rule in negated sentences.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level