tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 03 23:57:23 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: Hur'Iq (noun)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>Hur'q (is acutally english if it is a synonym but would be spelt in klingon
>as ghurq)

I think {Hurq} would be the Klingon transliteration of the English
pronunciation.

>would either be the same as Hur'Iq *OR* ghew (but many would argue
>the second meaning until they consider Klingons might have a prejiduce
>to bugs, but this is really unlikely, i'd go with the first one).

There's no evidence that the Hur'q were insectoid, and I don't know of
anyone who would argue that the English term "Hur'q" is from the Klingon
{ghew}. The English term "Hur'q" is from the Klingon term {Hur'Iq}; Okrand
states this in KGT. ("Outside the game", Okrand probably backfit the Klingon
term to the English/Paramount Klingon term used on Star Trek.)

>Or, of all things, it could also mean "Invader" or yotwI'.

Voragh has already pointed out that the two syllables of {Hur'Iq} mean
"outside" and "be too much, be too many". I think that's etymologically
significant.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Be the one of the first to try the NEW Windows Live Mail.
http://ideas.live.com/programPage.aspx?versionId=5d21c51a-b161-4314-9b0e-4911fb2b2e6d

Back to archive top level