tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 28 08:50:53 2006

Re: pronouns

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Shane MiQogh:
> >Equals is considered a "copula" which, in japanese, is considered to be
> >seperate from a verb.

QeS 'utlh:
>You would be surprised how many languages do this. <...> In Hebrew (I
>believe; Voragh would be able to confirm or correct this) the copula
>is most usually given simply by apposition,

Not usually.  It is (rarely) possible to say, for example:

   *Mosheh talmid yisra'eli*
    Mosheh is an Israeli student, Mosheh's an Israeli student

especially with gentilic adjectives/nouns as predicates:

   *Mosheh yisra'eli*
    Mosheh is (an) Israeli

but the normal modern practice is to use a pronoun as a copula:

   *Mosheh hu talmid yisra'eli*
    Mosheh is an Israeli student

   *Rivkah hi yisra'elit*
    Rivkah (Rebecca) is an Israeli

and the copula is required when the predicate is definite:

   *Rivkah hi ha-talmidah ha-yisra'elit*
    Rivkah is the Israeli student

   *Ehud Olmert hu rosh ha-memshalah*
    Ehud Olmert is the Prime Minister

BTW, Arabic routinely uses pronouns as copulas in exactly the same way as
Hebrew:

   *Ahmad huwa mu'allim
    Ahmad is a teacher

   *Fatimah hiya al-mu'allimah
    Fatimah is the teacher

>and in Russian, in normal speech the copula is not used in the present tense.

The Russian practice is exactly the opposite from Hebrew and Arabic.  In
writing an em-dash is usually used to represent this "zero copula" and the
distinctive intonation of such equational sentences:

   *Ivan -- prepodavatel'*
    Ivan (is a/the) teacher

Rarely one sees - or rather hears in colloquial speech - the
pronoun-as-copula, but such statements are quite marked or emphatic:

   *Ivan on prepodavatel'*
    It's Ivan who is the teacher.
    Ivan, he's the teacher.

> >Despite it's conjugated in almost every language that conjugates verbs and
> >has "the copula". Theoretically, one could say this is marc okrand making
> >Klingon even more unique by having a cupola that "conjugates" per subject
> >that it is used with.
>
>While I can't think of a language that uses a pronoun-as-copular-construct
>in the same way as Klingon does (although Russian might come close), I also
>can't think of a single natural language that has a regular copula. {{:)

Though I wouldn't call it "conjugation" - perhaps "agreement" is better -
the use of pronouns as copulas in Hebrew and Arabic pretty much mirrors
that of Klingon.  {rom} "agreement} may not be the right term in Klingon,
however:

   Klingon grammarians refer to the rule that governs the use of
   pronominal prefixes as the rule of {rom} (literally, "accord").
   Grammarians of Federation Standard and many Earth languages
   call the phenomenon "agreement". Thus, in the case of Klingon,
   the prefix used must "agree" with the noun to which it refers;
   if the object noun is plural, for example, the prefix must be
   one that is  used with plural objects. Agreeing is not a trait
   typically associated with Klingon nature, however, and apparently,
   at least under certain circumstances, this may extend to grammar
   as well.  [KGT p.172]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons