tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 07:44:16 2006

Re: loy

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar:
>Can one use {loy} in the sense of "I guess everyone has seen him"?

QeS:
> > That being said, the English "I guess everyone has seen him" is also
> > idiomatic for what could be expressed in Klingon as {leghlaw'pu' Hoch}
> > "everyone has apparently seen him"; I'd only use {...'e' vIloy} if I was
> > actually referring to a guess or theory, as in "I guessed the answer to
> > the question".

Quvar:
>That's what my question was. Thanks. I see it the same way, taking "guess"
>only literally.

For those interested in other uses of "guess", while we don't have examples
of {loy} in canon we do have one for {noH} "judge, estimate":

   chorghSaD qelI'qam HIvchuq'e' vInoH
   Estimating attack range in 8,000 kellicams. (ST5)

In this case it's not a sentence-as-object but a topicalized (?) object,
showing that {noH} is transitive.  I guess that {loy} works similarly.  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level