tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 06:46:27 2006

Re: mu' HaqwI' vs TKD (was Re: I have a few questions that confuse me...)

bob mcfaddin ([email protected])

--- QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
> >yes TKD. lol Anyway, anything (i mean anything) can
> be learned
> >by translating from Klingon to english. It's kinda
> like immersion,
> >you are forced to listen to something enough, you
> start to understand it.
>
> Yes, but do you really want to make it that hard on
> yourself? There are a
> lot of nuances that simply can't be picked up
> anywhere else but in TKD.
> While translating Klingon to English is one matter,
> translating English to
> Klingon is an entirely different matter. Believe me,
> it would be far easier
> for you to have a set of the rules in front of you
> than it would for you to
> work out the rules yourself before you can even
> start to use those rules.
>
> QeS 'utlh
> tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the
> Klingon Language Institute

There is, then, another matter... the source material
you translate from Klingon to English. There is a
limited amount of this. And, as this list has proven,
there may be many ways to phrase a given thought, and
not all of them entirely grammatically correct. If you
do not know the rules of grammar, then it is by
definition impossible for you to know when the author
of the source material has made an error. You are then
forced to accept anything purported to be in Klingon
as grammatically correct...and chaos and confusiopn
will reign.
If you aren't familiar with the rules, how do you know
when they've been broken? On the TNG episode "The
Bonding" ( I think that's the correct name), during
the bonding ceremony, Worf says "SoS jIH batlh SoH" .
Without knowing the rules of grammar, you don't
identify the greivous error. the words are literally
translated, the meaning is not. Do it. Buy the book.
TKD is essential.

jajvam lururbogh jajmey'e' lutu'lu' muja'ta' SoSoywI'

juDmoS