tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 04:01:15 2006

Re: paSlogh (was Re: yopwaH)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu', jIja':
>In Klingon, there's not one attested instance of a noun that is
>treated as grammatically plural although it's semantically singular. In
>fact, the opposite situation is the one we find: semantically plural nouns
>such as {ngop} "plates" are treated as grammatically singular, not plural.
>For this reason, I still think that {yopwaH} is not a grammatically (or
>semantically) plural noun, and that {yopwaHDaj 'oH yopwaHvam'e'} "these
>pants are his pants" is the correct form, not *{yopwaHDaj bIH
>yopwaHvam'e'}.

jangpu' Philip, ja':
>Hmm... what's the situation with {paSlogh}, then, I wonder?
>Would it be correct to view it as an inherently plural noun which
>takes singular concord (like {ngop})? For example, {paSloghwIj lunej;
>nuqDaq 'oH?} "They are looking for my socks; where are they?" rather
>than {paSloghwIj nej; nuqDaq bIH?}?

As a guess, yes, I would think so. However, the situation is complicated
slightly by the fact that a pair of socks *is* actually two articles of
clothing... {{:) The fact is that if {paSlogh} did actually take plural verb
and pronoun forms without being able to take pluralising noun suffixes, it
would be a unique case and would probably have been mentioned somewhere in
the text of TKD.

>I suppose that would make sock/socks another pair of nouns with a
>suppletive plural form -- a pair of which we happen not to know the
>singular form.

Probably since one usually hears about socks in the plural. (Unless Klingons
have washing machines, that is: "the washing machine ate my sock again"...)

>Is that about right, based on what we know?

It sounds quite reasonable to me.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level