tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 01:18:23 2006

paSlogh (was Re: yopwaH)

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On 1/23/06, QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:
> In Klingon, there's not one attested instance of a noun that is
> treated as grammatically plural although it's semantically singular. In
> fact, the opposite situation is the one we find: semantically plural nouns
> such as {ngop} "plates" are treated as grammatically singular, not plural.
> For this reason, I still think that {yopwaH} is not a grammatically (or
> semantically) plural noun, and that {yopwaHDaj 'oH yopwaHvam'e'} "these
> pants are his pants" is the correct form, not *{yopwaHDaj bIH yopwaHvam'e'}.

Hmm... what's the situation with {paSlogh}, then, I wonder?

Would it be correct to view it as an inherently plural noun which
takes singular concord (like {ngop})? For example, {paSloghwIj lunej;
nuqDaq 'oH?} "They are looking for my socks; where are they?" rather
than {paSloghwIj nej; nuqDaq bIH?}?

I suppose that would make sock/socks another pair of nouns with a
suppletive plural form -- a pair of which we happen not to know the
singular form.

Is that about right, based on what we know?
--
Philip Newton <[email protected]>
HovpoH 5206.91

Back to archive top level