tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 01:40:10 2006

Re: Neologisms

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On 1/22/06, d'Armond Speers, Ph.D. <[email protected]> wrote:

> we also have our own slang that was created out of necessity or humor.  Some
> coinages remain because they fill a need (HIlel);

I've heard of this one -- "sandwich", right?

> some remain because they are funny or are a part of our oral tradition
> ("DaH jIyID!"),

Can you explain this one, though, please? Both what it means and how it arose?

> and some are canonized ('I',

I've heard the story of this one.

> ngech).

What was canonised about this one? I presume the anatomical meaning
was added to a word that already existed in canon, with a
geographical/geological meaning? Or were both meanings thought up by
speakers and later canonised by Okrand?

> Sorry for the length.

qay'be'. Daj 'e' vIQub.
--