tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 15 23:06:51 2006

Re: 'e' wab je vIQoy

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Quvar, ja':
>What do you think about the following:
>{jach tlhIngan 'e' vIQoy}
>"I hear a Klingon screaming"

I don't have a problem with that.

jangpu' voan, ja':
>A Klingon screaming? Or the scream of a Klingon? I see it as the latter.

{jach} is only a verb: "to scream". Even if it were a noun, "the scream of a
Klingon" would be *{tlhIngan jach}, since the possessor comes before the
possessed in Klingon.

ja'taH Quvar:
>{jach tlhIngan 'e' wab je vIQoy}
>"I hear a klingon screaming and a noise"

Hrm. I think this is technically grammatical, since other pronouns could do
this ({tlhIngan SoH je vIQoy} "I hear you and the Klingon"), but it strikes
me as quite bizarre.

ja'taH voan:
>Well, I was going to say that I read it as something else, ("I hear a
>sound, that is, the scream
>of a Klingon.") but then I saw the je, and that made me reconsider. To me,
>it looks like the je
>and 'e' need to be switched. Because, I think, the je needs to be between
>two nouns. That way, >the 'e' is pointing to both.

{je} only appears between two nouns in children's speech and in the phrase
{mIv je DaS}. Otherwise, it always comes at the end of a list.

ja'taH Quvar:
>'e' refers to the previous sentence as a whole, and can be used like any
>noun. So can I use {je} with it like with a noun?

Technically, yes, you might be able to, but it weirds me out. {{:)
Seriously, I would have to stop and think about it a bit before I got the
meaning you're after, and that defeats the purpose of translation. Perhaps
{wab vIQoy. muQoymoH jachbogh tlhIngan} "I heard a noise. A Klingon
screaming made me hear (it)" or {wab vIQoy. wab lIngmeH jach tlhIngan} "I
heard a noise. A Klingon was screaming in order to produce that noise",
although in the second one I'm not happy with the idea of purpose that the
{-meH} clause implies.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Buy now @ Tradingpost.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fad%2Eau%2Edoubleclick%2Enet%2Fclk%3B24875379%3B12369854%3Ba%3Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etradingpost%2Ecom%2Eau%3Freferrer%3DnmsnHMetagv1&_t=752643439&_r=hotmailtagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level