tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 15 09:10:33 2006

Re: 'e' wab je vIQoy

voan ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Quvar, ja':

> What do you think about the following:
>
> {jach tlhIngan 'e' vIQoy}
> "I hear a Klingon screaming"

A Klingon screaming? Or the scream of a Klingon? I see it as the latter.

> {wab vIQoy}
> "I hear a noise"
>
> {jach tlhIngan 'e' wab je vIQoy}
> "I hear a klingon screaming and a noise"

Well, I was going to say that I read it as something else, ("I hear a sound, that is, the scream
of a Klingon.") but then I saw the je, and that made me reconsider. To me, it looks like the je
and 'e' need to be switched. Because, I think, the je needs to be between two nouns. That way, the
'e' is pointing to both.

jach tlhIngan je wab 'e' vIQoy "I hear (something), that is, a sound and the scream of a Klingon."

> 'e' refers to the previous sentence as a whole, and can be used like any
> noun. So can I use {je} with it like with a noun?

I _think_ so, but I have no canon to back it up.

> Quvar.

I have a feeling I'm totally missing something, but oh well. :-P

voan