tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 17 23:53:28 2006

Re: bIrqu'choH

In a message dated 2/17/2006 9:25:01 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> --- Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > ter'eS wrote:
> > >DaHjaj po loS vatlhvI' taDmeH Hat Hutlh muD Hat.
> > >
> > >(Just to throw another idea into the "negative
> > number" hopper!)
> >
> > "This morning the atmosphere's temperature lacks 4
> > percent freezing
> > temperature."
> >
> > I.e. 4 degrees below zero?  (I presume Celsius to
> > make percentages easier
> > to figure.)
> >

> Exactly. In fact, that's all centigrade is, at least
> for values above freezing: assuming that the boiling
> point equals 100 percent, then every degree is
> equivalent to that percentage of the boiling point.
>
> The measurement below freezing is harder to
> quantify, since lower temperatures don't have a
> clearly demarked reference point. I just made an
> analogy with temperatures above freezing, which
> I think is what the Celsius scale did in the first
> place: if each degree above freezing represented
> a distance of 2mm of a mercury column (for example),
> then each degree below freezing also represented
> a distance of 2mm.
>
> -- ter'eS

If the boiling point equals 100%, then what is it 100% of?  I would expect it
to be 100% of the total heat content, which would then be about 373 kelvins
and each percentage of that would be 3.73 kelvins and 0% would be absolute zero.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level