tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 17 19:23:07 2006

Re: bIrqu'choH

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> ter'eS wrote:
> >DaHjaj po loS vatlhvI' taDmeH Hat Hutlh muD Hat.
> >
> >(Just to throw another idea into the "negative
> number" hopper!)
>
> "This morning the atmosphere's temperature lacks 4
> percent freezing
> temperature."
>
> I.e. 4 degrees below zero?  (I presume Celsius to
> make percentages easier
> to figure.)

Exactly. In fact, that's all centigrade is, at least
for values above freezing: assuming that the boiling
point equals 100 percent, then every degree is
equivalent to that percentage of the boiling point.

The measurement below freezing is harder to
quantify, since lower temperatures don't have a
clearly demarked reference point. I just made an
analogy with temperatures above freezing, which
I think is what the Celsius scale did in the first
place: if each degree above freezing represented
a distance of 2mm of a mercury column (for example),
then each degree below freezing also represented
a distance of 2mm.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level