tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 22 07:30:06 2004

Re: Bloglines

...Paul wrote:
> >I'm working for Bloglines now, and one of my first tasks has been to prep
> >the site for i18n.  To test i18n, I've been employing Klingon, because I
> >don't really know any other languages, aside from English.

If you want to see an example of a Klingon blog, see Qov's {bo logh}:
<http://bologh.blogspot.com/>http://bologh.blogspot.com

> >Anyone interested in helping me out on some of the tricky stuff?  I figure
> >a blog/feed could be termed a /lut Hal/ (source of stories), but just how
> >should I translate the instructions:
>
> >"To sort several feeds at once, check boxes and pick an action from the
> >menu."

QeS lagh:
><Halmey law' buvmeH, Halmeyvetlh tIghItlh 'ej HIDjolevDaq DuH yIwIv>
>"To classify many sources, mark those sources and select an option in the
>menu."
>
>I don't know whether <HIDjolev> can be used for a computer menu, but
>Holtej's pojwI' used it in that manner for a long time.

Sounds good to me.  In Klingon restaurants, menus are apparently posted on
a wall where customers can see them:

   In some restaurants, the menu ({HIDjolev}) is posted (seldom are
   individual copies available), but in most, the patrons know the
   regular fare and ask about specials... (KGT 100ff.)

   {HIDjolev qon} "he/she composes the menu" suggests that the speaker
   thinks the list of available fare is written with a certain literary
   flair. This is not likely to be said of menus in Klingon restaurants
   (whose menus, if posted at all, tend to be rather pithy), and thus
   could easily be taken as an insult. (st.klingon)

This is no doubt why those drop-down lists "posted" at the top of your
screen were called menus.  If you don't like {HIDjolev}, try {mem}
"catalog" or {tetlh} "roll, scroll, list".

> >"To manually reorder feeds, click a folder or the top level."

No word for "folder", but you might try *{taghom} "file/record
group".  *{tatetlh} or *{tatlhegh} might work for "directory" - a list (or
"line") of files.  (Cp. {mu'ghom} "dictionary} and {mu'tlhegh} "sentence").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level