tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 10 03:11:08 2004

Re: Correct translation?

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "oneqtcat" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2004 1:20 AM
Subject: Correct translation?

> Is this translation from DIvI' Hol to tlhIngan Hol correctly done?
> If a warrior meets and faces danger then they are not defeated.
>
> Qob ghomchugh SuvwI' 'ej Qob qaDchugh SuvwI' vaj jeybe'
>
> vIghro'

You are very, very close. The last part of your sentence reads "He does not
defeat". It doesn't mean "He is not defeated". You're actually saying that
the something or someone (it is unimportant who) has not defeated the
warrior. For that, we use the type 5 verb suffix {-lu'} "indefinite
subject":

{SuvwI' jeybe'lu'} "The warrior is not defeated" "Something/ someone does
not defeat the warrior."

Your sentence now reads:
{Qob ghomchugh SuvwI' 'ej Qob qaDchugh SuvwI' vaj jeybe'lu'}

The sentence above is correct. You can stop reading here. However, I would
like to suggest some "cleaning up" you could do. This is strictly a
suggestion.

We know we can elide subjects and objects in sentences strung together like
this:
{Qob ghomchugh 'ej qaDchugh SuvwI', jeybe'lu'}
"If a warrior meets and challenges danger, he is not defeated."

Good luck.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian
Klingon Language Institute