tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 11 08:22:35 2004

Re: Correct translation?

vIghro':
> > If a warrior meets and faces danger then they are not defeated.
> > Qob ghomchugh SuvwI' 'ej Qob qaDchugh SuvwI' vaj jeybe'

ngabwI':
>You are very, very close. The last part of your sentence reads "He does not
>defeat". It doesn't mean "He is not defeated". You're actually saying that
>the something or someone (it is unimportant who) has not defeated the
>warrior. For that, we use the type 5 verb suffix {-lu'} "indefinite
>subject":
>
>{SuvwI' jeybe'lu'} "The warrior is not defeated" "Something/ someone does
>not defeat the warrior."
>
>Your sentence now reads:
>{Qob ghomchugh SuvwI' 'ej Qob qaDchugh SuvwI' vaj jeybe'lu'}

Here are some advanced examples of {-be'lu'} from TKW to study:

   pujwI' HIvlu'chugh quvbe'lu'
   There is no honor in attacking the weak.

   batlhHa' vanglu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu'
   One does not achieve honor while acting dishonorably.

   'oy'be'lu'chugh Qapbe'lu'
   No pain, no gain.

   noH QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh yay chavbe'lu' 'ej wo' choqmeH may'
     DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'.
   Destroying an empire to win a war is no victory, and ending a
     battle to save an empire is no defeat.

See if you can figure out how each is used.  (N.B.:  The Klingon is not
necessarily a literal translation of the English.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level