tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 10 03:25:08 2004

Re: Another translation, correct?

Since it's a weekend and nobody else seems to be paying attention at the
moment (and there is no 'KLBC' in the subject line), I'll take a shot at answering
this question.
In messages dated 2004-10-10 1:58:38 AM and 2:01:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> If a warrior meets and faces danger then they are not defeated.
>
> Qob ghomchugh SuvwI' 'ej Qob qaDchugh SuvwI' vaj jeybe'

{jey} means 'defeat', not 'be defeated'.  Who is 'they'?  The warrior?

> A warrior that uses courage while facing the unknown will not be
> defeated.
>
> 'op qaDtaHvIS toDuj lo'bogh SuvwI', jeybe'

In both these cases you could use {jey pagh} ('no-one defeats him') or
{jeylu'be'}/{jeybe'lu'} (one doesn't defeat him) (I'm not sure there is a different
between {-lu'be'} and {-be'lu'}, and I also don't know if either is used more
often - I'll get back on that one.)

I would not use {'op} to mean "unknown" in this sense.  {'op} means 'some, an
unknown or unspecified quantity'.  For the sense that you want, you could use
something like {ghu' Sovbe'bogh} (a situation which he doesn't know).

BTW, do warriors 'use' courage?
Another way to say it is {yoH} ('be brave') [or {Sub} in its slang meaning of
'be brave, heroic, bold, valiant, intrepid'], which can be used either as a
verb {yoHbogh SuvwI'} or adjective {SuvwI' yoH}.  I would say the latter if the
warrior were brave as a regular or permanent feature of his personality, and
the former in a case where the his bravery/courage could not be so readily
assumed.

All together: {ghu' Sovbe'bogh qaDtaHvIS, yoHbogh SuvwI' jeybe'lu'.}
{While facing a situation he doesn't know, a warrior who is brave is not
defeated.)

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level