tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 03 14:58:41 2004

Re: direct speech

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:
>qajatlh means "I speak to you" or, more literally, perhaps "I speak it to
>you," where "it" is a language or a speech or whatever:
>qajatlh "I speak to you"

jang Quvar:
>where is that from, and is that canon? Maybe some kind of "prefix trick"?
>I've never heard about this use of {jatlh}.

HIja', *canon* 'oHbej. This is the prefix trick at work; again, the
syntactic direct object is semantically a dative here.

De'wI' Daqvam yISuch; *MSN* jabbI'ID tetlhvaD Sojvam QIn ngeH Marc Okrand,
'ej ja'qa'pu' neH lay'tel SIvten:

http://klingonska.org/canon/1997-06-29.txt

Savan.

QeS lagh