tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 31 11:47:47 2004

Re: mu' lo' QaQ 'oSbogh mu'tlheghmey

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 [email protected] wrote:
> Even an infant acquires language based on what he hears spoken around him.
> Everything he hears is a "phrase from an expert", i.e. a native speaker.  Of
> course, no child learns a language from some kind of bilingual phrasebook.  He
> acquires it first-hand and from scratch.  He creates his own internal grammar
> and vocabulary, which he continuously modifies as he hears new phrases.

Although keep in mind that when people are teaching infants to speak, they
instinctively start speaking in a manner much more suitable for the infant
to integrate.  Early stages of learning involve a lot of pattern
recognition.  You show a child a red ball and say "ball" a lot, and
eventually they associate it with ball.  Change the colors a few times and
eventually they figure out that "ball" refers to spherical things, not
just red spherical things.

This is one of the reasons why I wish Klingon had maybe just a few more
everyday Earthling words; when I went to put notes on everything in my
cube at work, for example (to hopefully establish a more pictographical
association with the words), I found myself really stuck for some of the
more simple things like "desk" and "drawer".

> For a second-language learner, as a Klingon student must be, the expert
> phrases I advocated would take the place of the native conversations, and the
> accompanying translation would take the place of context, including situational
> context.

I just happened to be taking some time off from work this past week (one
of the reasons why I've posted as much as I have :) and I flipped on the
PBS station to find the show "Guten Tag", which teaches German.  It was
really interesting to see *how* they did it.  They set up a "scene" and
have a few actors go through it, using *extremely* simple dialog.  They
subtitle it first in English, then they show the scene again, subtitled in
the German.  It was very interesting to see, though I'm not convinced I
could learn much that way.

As an example of the dialog, the one I remember, two people were on a
stage with three different sofas.  They were trying to figure out which to
buy.  The dialog went something stilted like this:

"I like this sofa."
"I do not like that sofa.  I like big sofas.  (moves to next sofa) I like
this sofa."
"How much is that sofa?"
"600 Marks.  How much is that sofa?"
"800 Marks."
"This sofa is bigger and cheaper."
etc...

So I think there's really a place for all approaches.  Yes, using the
language in a conversation is definitely really good practice.  The
problem is that if you have a very complex conversation, it's information
overload.  I've read through some of the longer all-Klingon messages,
using things like pojwI' to translate the words I don't remember, but
there are so many words I don't remember that when I'm done, I still have
no association of word-to-meaning.  That's just me, YMMV.

What's unfortunate is that we really need a better medium than just text
to really teach a language well.  We can get by, reinforcing the
Klingon-to-English translation, but I think to really internalize the
vocabulary, one needs to establish a better mental relationship with it.
This is where the "See Spot Run" books come in.  :)

Maybe someone needs to come up with a web CGI or something that can show
pictures with words.  I know having pinned a piece of paper with the word
/quS/ to my desk chair at work has helped me remember *that* word.  :)
Hmm.  Maybe I'll try to work up a rough example tomorrow.  :)

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
     "If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use?
         Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens?" -- Seymour Cray

Back to archive top level