tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 31 05:42:16 2004

Re: mu' lo' QaQ 'oSbogh mu'tlheghmey

In a message dated 2004-07-30 6:45:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> In short, I believe SuStel had it exactly right:  no one is going to learn
> to speak the language if he is given phrases from experts.

Even an infant acquires language based on what he hears spoken around him.
Everything he hears is a "phrase from an expert", i.e. a native speaker.  Of
course, no child learns a language from some kind of bilingual phrasebook.  He
acquires it first-hand and from scratch.  He creates his own internal grammar
and vocabulary, which he continuously modifies as he hears new phrases.

For a second-language learner, as a Klingon student must be, the expert
phrases I advocated would take the place of the native conversations, and the
accompanying translation would take the place of context, including situational
context.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level