tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 24 18:34:27 2004

Re: tera'Daq yIn'a' 'ej pIv'a' tlhIngan Hol?

In a message dated 2004-07-24 9:27:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> > True of English:
> > This is how you can tell the English language is alive and well on Planet
> > Earth: We're creating new words.  A lot of them. So many that the
> venerable OED
> > (Oxford English Dictionary) has added almost 2,000 new words and phrases
> to its
> > pages for this newest edition.
> > True of Klingon?
>
> I read/heard recently, in terms of total size of the lexicon, English is
> #1 with about 1.5 MILLION words.  Second place?  Around 150,000 words (I
> think it was French).  Klingon is not much different than French, really;

*sigh* The point was not to compare it to English, but to compare it to a
living language.  Klingon is much more like Ancient Egyptian than French, except
that we have *lots* more native text in Ancient Egyptian than we do in
Klingon.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level