tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 24 16:51:50 2004

BoP-Daq, CK-Daq joq mI'mey Huj noblu'bogh

From BoP poster:
  {wejvatlh SochmaH vagh SaD cheb'a'mey ngI' Duj}
  Mass: 8.7KT
I assume that {wejvatlh SochmaH vagh SaD} is equal to {wejbIp Sochnetlh
vaghSaD} (375000) because of a presumed English/Western bias with numbers.  But if
taken literally it looks like it should equal 300 + 70 + 5000, or 5370.

This sort of bias also occurs on CK in the context of telling time:
[mo] Noon or "twelve hundred hours": {cha'maH wa'vatlh rep} [lit.:
"twenty-one hundred hours". Should have been {wa'maH cha'vatlh rep}.]
[mo] Seven p.m. or "nineteen hundred hours" {wa'maH Hutvatlh rep}

Is this way of writing numbers used in general, or do people use netlh, bIp,
and 'uy'?  I know that ghunchu'wI' used {cha'vatlh 'uy'}, which does both, for
200,000,000 in a "jatmey" story, but I don't see any alternative, since we
don't have number-forming elements greater than million.

And I know that some or all of this has been discussed here before, but I
don't know when.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level