tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 21 07:45:25 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: qeD (v)

Philip:
> >> Is that "vacate" as in "vacate your seat" or as in "go on vacation"?

We don't know.  AFAIK Okrand has never used or mentioned the word.

lay'tel SIvten:
> > I, for one, have never heard 'vacate' mean 'go on vacation'.

Quvar:
>In Dutch, the word for "vacation" is "vakantie", which rhymes with
>"vacancy" although it has has nothing to do with it. :-)

{ghIQ} "vacation, take a vacation"

>I guess that "vacate" in Klingon has a military meaning here. We must
>remember that most words that MO made were made for different possible
>scenes in the movies. I don't think that he had in mind to vacate a seat or
>an office.

Agreed.  Many people tend to forget this practical point of view for the
origin of most of vocabulary in the first edition of TKD.

>Perhaps more in the sense of "vacate troops" or "vacate a military base".

That's "evacuate" - for which we have no known equivalent in Klingon.  We
do have several related verbs:  {lon} "abandon"; {nargh} "escape, eject";
{mej} "leave, depart"; {tlheD} "depart"; {Haw'} "flee, get out"; {DoH}
"back away from, back off, get away from" and {HeD "retreat, withdraw".

BTW "evacuate" - not "vacate" - can also be used for emptying an airlock
{HIchDal} of atmosphere {muD} prior to opening it to space {logh}; i.e. to
cause a vacuum.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons