tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 17 21:31:28 2004

Re: canon pIqaD

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:55:09 +1000, QeS lagh <[email protected]> wrote:
> jIghItlhtaH:
> >Of course, we might be treated to something completely alien and bizarre if
> >pIqaD ever appears. Like two separate characters mapping to each sound, or
> >something equally strange.
>
> jangtaH Philip:
> >Have a look at Thai before you dismiss it as strange; there you can have
> >several characters mapping to the same sound. Or even English: both 'c'
> >and 'k' are used for the /k/ sound.
>
> But not at the same time. You misunderstand what I meant. What I meant was
> having every sound mapped by a *group* of two characters.

qayajHa'pu'neS.

That would indeed by different; I haven't seen anything like that before.

(Well, there are digraphs such as "ch" in English, but that appears
not to be what you are talking about - a *systematic* use of two
characters for each sound).

> To take an arbitrary example, the word {pob} "body hair" might be mapped to,
> say, 197410 - where {p} is mapped to the two characters /19/, {o} to /74/
> and {b} to /10/. The system I had had in mind was one character for point of
> articulation and one for manner, so the symbol /1/ actually stands for
> "labial", /9/ for "voiceless stop" and /0/ for "voiced stop".

Dajqu'neS.

> I'm willing to
> bet even Thai doesn't do anything like that regularly. :)

bIlughlaw'neS.
--
Philip Newton <[email protected]>
HovpoH 2436.35