tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 16 13:17:23 2004

RE: canon pIqaD

>From: [email protected]
>
> > The KLI's version of pIqaD is hard to write,
>
>I don't find it hard.  Certainly no harder than Asian languages.

Tell me what kind of instrument is used to create those strokes?

And if you asume they're serifs, then no one can seem to agree on some of
the basic shapes.  What, for instance, is the shape of what the KLI map uses
for S?  Did you know that jI'qel and I write the j symbol (and others) in
fundamentally different ways?

> > has some difficult-to-distinguish characters,
>
>When I started learning arabic I thought the script was difficult;
>everything
>looked like the same squigglely line.  But it's not too bad now that I've
>played with it a little.  I'm sure others first encountering our style of
>writing think some of our characters are difficult-to-distinguish.

The KLI's w, e, 1, and 2 are virtually indistinguishable when written by
hand, and the q and Q are little better.  t and v often have the same
problem.  Depending on what you think the shape of j is, j and 6 are
similar.

> > Every attempt at a
> > pIqaD font I've ever seen also suffers from too-small space characters,
> > making it nearly impossible to read, too.
>
>That has nothing to do with pIqaD.

That was a separate paragraph, and a complain about fonts, not about pIqaD
systems.

If everybody's going to jump on Okrand's statement as a declaration of
canon, this is going to suck big-time.  The KLI's pIqaD is BORING!
Uninspired!  Okrand wasn't saying, "Yes, this is correct"; he was saying,
"I'm glad they're having fun with it."  If we're going to take Okrand's
expressions of approval as official dogma, I'm going to go talk to him and
tell him how much fun I had changing the language to SVO order and creating
a new "adjective" part of speech out of verbs of quality.  If he so much as
SMILES we can take that as official.

Ooh!  I know!  I'll show him my Tengwar for Klingon!  If he says he likes
it, it's official!  The Official Way to Write Klingon (TM)!

(And before someone gets on my case for being grouchy, I'm only trying to
make a point.  Okrand liking something and Okrand saying "This is Klingon"
are two different things, and care must be taken to be sure which is which.)

SuStel
Stardate 4541.6