tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 16 11:21:01 2004

RE: canon pIqaD

>From: joH Hegh <[email protected]>
>
>Greetings,
>I am new at the Hol, but have been lurking on the list for a long time. I
>call myself joH Hegh.
>
>I found a thesis on Klingon on the net where Marc Okrand among others is
>interviewed. And as far as I can tell pIqaD (well, the pIqaD used by KLI
>and most klingonists) now seems to be canon:
>
>Marc Okrand:
>"The mapping I very cleverly done . . . I think it is great, it makes it so
>you can write the language . . . I wish I could read it, when I get
>something written in pIqaD I?m able to very slowly figure it out . . . I am
>glad someone really is doing it and has decided that it is an alphabet and
>not a syllabary Now we know, cause Michael Okuda and I didn?t know that."
>So, is it okay to use pIqaD as "real" pIqaD officially now?

Bah.  Okrand has also said at another time that he doesn't think pIqaD is an
alphabet.  What he said in this interview amounts to, "Aw, that's so cute!"

The KLI's version of pIqaD is hard to write, has some
difficult-to-distinguish characters, and is boring.  Every attempt at a
pIqaD font I've ever seen also suffers from too-small space characters,
making it nearly impossible to read, too.

SuStel
Stardate 4541.4