tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 08 08:21:20 2004

Re: I/we with {-vIp}

Quvar:
>What other -vIp examples do we have? I can only find two, which have "you"
>as the subject.
>
>   {bIHeghvIpchugh bIHeghpu'}
>   "If you are afraid to die you have already died."
>
>   {choHoHvIp}
>   "you are afraid to kill me."

This TKW example is the only other example of {-vIp} I know of, outside of
the {choHoH...} examples in Okrand's explanation in TKD.

I suspect that the cultural taboo about not using {-vIp} to refer to
oneself extends to the verbs {Haj} "dread", {ghIj} "scare" and {lIm}
"panic" as well (at least, among the Klingon warrior class).  Although
{Haj} has never been used in canon, we do have one trivial example for {lIm}:

   bIlIm
   You panic. (STC:KLS)

and several for {ghIj}, none of which are in the first person:

   jaghpu'lI' DaghIjjaj!
   May you scare your enemies! PK

   qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb
    nganpu' buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH.  nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam.
   this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the
    menacing profiles of their battlecruisers. SP1

   ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj  [sic! Is this {no' Hol}?]
   May your enemies run with fear.  TKW

This is the traditional acceptance upon being asked to serve as someone's
cha'DIch (cf. TNG "Sins of the Father").  (Cf. TKW p.65.)

   jaghmeylI' DaghIjjaj, qetjaj jaghmeylI'
   May you scare your enemies, may your enemies run. TKW

   not qoHpu''e' neH ghIjlu'
   Only fools have no fear. TKW

   vay' DaghIjlaHchugh bIHoSghaj
   Fear is power. TKW

"The meaning of this saying, of course, is that one who has the ability to
instill fear can exert control over those who are afraid; there is more to
power than physical force." (TKW p.109)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons