tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 08 04:23:29 2004

Re: I/we with {-vIp}

Lieven L. Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:

>> It seems highly unlikely that a culturally taboo sentence would be used
>> to illustrate an unrelated grammatical point, so apparently the taboo is
>> strictly against the speaker acknowledging his own fear.

jang QeS lagh:

> That seems pretty self-explanatory from what we know of Klingon culture,
> and my guess is that this is what Okrand meant when he wrote his original
> explanation.

btw, the example contains the suffix {-be'} "not".
So I believe one can still say {jIHeghvIpbe'} without breaking taboos.

What other -vIp examples do we have? I can only find two, which have "you"
as the subject.

  {bIHeghvIpchugh bIHeghpu'}
  "If you are afraid to die you have already died."

  {choHoHvIp}
  "you are afraid to kill me."

Sounds almost like an insult.  :-)

Quvar.