tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 06 13:35:14 2004

RE: mu'qaDmey tIQ (was:Re: imperative + -jaj)

jI'qel ghojwI' wrote:
>Agh.  I missed the fact that <mebpa'mey> now means "hotel".  Is this
>weird to anyone else?  I see <mebpa'mey> and I read "guest rooms".  It's
>got a plural suffix on it, yet it's a singular noun?  That bugs me.

It bugs a lot of us.

>Does this actually appear in the text of KGT, or is it just in the word

IIRC, it only appears in the glossary and is not used or discussed anywhere
in the text of KGT.

Some have speculated that this is a word Okrand created for but didn't use
in CK (i.e. the scene where the Terran checks into the hotel on Kronos)
while other think it's a word he may have realized he needed after the fact
and just included in KGT.

ghunchu'wI' commented when this came up some time ago that:

   The translation "hotel" is a convenient noun that exists in English,
   but apparently Klingon has no unique word for a collection of guest
   rooms. It is rather like talking about a professor's "rooms": you
   mean his apartment, but you refer to the collection of rooms instead
   of using a singular noun. However, "rooms" isn't a singular noun,
   "The professor's rooms are cluttered," not "The professor's rooms is
   cluttered." ... I guess that {mebpa'mey} works the same way. You could
   talk about a single {mebpa'} or plural {mebpa'mey}, but there's no
   unique noun to describe the collection of these rooms, a hotel.

Until Okrand uses or explains is, this is a good analysis.  I see nothing
wrong in referring to a single {mebpa'}:

   ghuy'cha'!  mebpa'Daq QumwI'wIj vIlonpu' jay'!
   Dammit!  I've left my communicator back in the &^%$ hotel room!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level