tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 06 13:14:36 2004

RE: mu'qaDmey tIQ (was:Re: imperative + -jaj)

cheesbro ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> > This reminds me of the following ancient curse:
> >
> >      pa'mey ghajbogh mebpa'mey Daghajjaj 'ej Hoch pa'Daq lomlIj
> >         tu'lu'jaj' vay'!
> >      May you inherit a hotel with a thousand rooms and be found dead in
> >         every one!
> >

> Agh.  I missed the fact that <mebpa'mey> now means "hotel".  Is this
> weird to anyone else?  I see <mebpa'mey> and I read "guest rooms".  It's
> got a plural suffix on it, yet it's a singular noun?  That bugs me.
> Does this actually appear in the text of KGT, or is it just in the word

The english translation of that concept is singular, but klingons see a
plural; "guest rooms".  They think about the collection of rooms, not the
single building.

'ej... tlhIngan Hol mu'tlhegh'e', [SaD] mu' ghItlhbe'.

Back to archive top level