tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 06 11:53:03 2004

mu'qaDmey tIQ (was:Re: imperative + -jaj)

QuljIb ([email protected])

ghItlh Voragh:

>Interestingly enough, Okrand did not use {-jaj} in either of his
>translations of the Vulcan send-off "Live long and prosper":
>
>   yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep! [RT]
>
>   yItaH 'ej yIcheptaH! [UPN ST 25th Anniversary Special]
>
>but made them all commands, not wishes.
>
>(Notice, BTW, the clever Klingon twist in the first one:  {yIn nI' >yISIQ}
>"Endure a long life!"   This is not something a Klingon warrior, who >looks forward to a glorious death in battle, would find desirable.)

This reminds me of the following ancient curse:

     pa'mey ghajbogh mebpa'mey Daghajjaj 'ej Hoch pa'Daq lomlIj
        tu'lu'jaj' vay'!
     May you inherit a hotel with a thousand rooms and be found dead in
        every one!

-quljIb

Back to archive top level