tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 02 05:22:07 2004

Re: ghelmeH mu'tlhegh'e' Sayu'

From: "Dar'Qang" <[email protected]>

> ghelbogh mu'tlhegh chenmoH'a' <<nuq vIjatlh 'e' DaneH>>?
>
> Does the sentence <<nuq vIjatlh 'e' DaneH>> form a question?

With respect to ngabwI', I don't think his answer is right.

First of all, {neH} doesn't use {'e'}.  Drop that.

Next, we have the old problem of Question as Object.  It has been reported
that Marc Okrand says you can't use questions as objects.  This more or less
ended a long-standing debate in the Klingon-speaking community.  {nuq
vIjatlh} is a question, and so can't be the object of {neH}.  Therefore,
this sentence is invalid.

If you're trying to say "What should I say?" just use {nuq vIjatlh}.  If
saying it is necessary, you can use {nuq vIjatlhnIS}.  If it's important to
distinguish *your* opinion from others, "What do *you* want me to say (as
opposed to that guy over there)?" construct the sentence differently.  For
instance, {vuDlIj HInob: nuq vIjatlh}.

*{nuq vIjatlh DaneH} seems simple enough, but it technically violates what
we know about Klingon.  Until Okrand says otherwise, avoid it.

SuStel
Stardate 4502.4

Back to archive top level