tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 02 12:23:08 2004

Re: ghelmeH mu'tlhegh'e' Sayu'

Dar'Qang ([email protected])

At 07:21 AM 7/2/2004, SuStel wrote:
>From: "Dar'Qang" <[email protected]>
>
> > ghelbogh mu'tlhegh chenmoH'a' <<nuq vIjatlh 'e' DaneH>>?
> >
> > Does the sentence <<nuq vIjatlh 'e' DaneH>> form a question?
>
>With respect to ngabwI', I don't think his answer is right.

lughHa' mu'tlhegh vI'aghbogh 'e'  vIpIH, 'a meq vIngu'laHchu'be'.

>First of all, {neH} doesn't use {'e'}.  Drop that.

jIyaj. jIDub'egh.

>Next, we have the old problem of Question as Object.  It has been reported
>that Marc Okrand says you can't use questions as objects.  This more or less
>ended a long-standing debate in the Klingon-speaking community.  {nuq
>vIjatlh} is a question, and so can't be the object of {neH}.  Therefore,
>this sentence is invalid.

DaH! "Sokath"-'e' poS mInDu'Daj!

I didn't link to the QAO issue.  I had associated QAO with the use of a
question-as-object without intending to make the entire sentence a
question. i.e., *{nuq luneH nuvpu' 'e' vISovbe'}, "I don't know what people
want".   But my sentence is equally QAO.

maj.

>If you're trying to say "What should I say?" just use {nuq vIjatlh}.  If
>saying it is necessary, you can use {nuq vIjatlhnIS}.  If it's important to
>distinguish *your* opinion from others, "What do *you* want me to say (as
>opposed to that guy over there)?" construct the sentence differently.  For
>instance, {vuDlIj HInob: nuq vIjatlh}.
>
>*{nuq vIjatlh DaneH} seems simple enough, but it technically violates what
>we know about Klingon.  Until Okrand says otherwise, avoid it.

lu'!

Dar'Qang

Back to archive top level