tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 01 17:56:15 2004

Re: prefix trick verbs

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ngabwI':

>I, personally, limit my usage of the prefix trick to situations like this,
>despite the fact that, as I understand it, a statement like:
>{puq HIqIp} "Hit me the child", "Hit the child for me"
>is a legitimate use of the prefix trick. However, because of the clumsy
>English translation, I don't believe that MO (and, by extension, Maltz)
>would use the trick this way.

Daj. Often, I've wondered whether things like this would be possible. Stuff
like {'Iw HIq HIqang} "Pour me a bloodwine!", {moQ HIjaD} "throw me a ball!"
I don't think that we should *necessarily* limit ourselves by what the
English translation is. Have a look at {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vISIv}.
Literally, it's "I wonder about whether you speak Klingon". Clumsy in
English, easy in Klingon.

By the same token, I do think this is somewhere where we could do with a
little more guidance from Okrand on how applicable the prefix trick really
is. (I'm not trying to send any hints there, just that I'd probably shy away
from stuff like this until I saw some more canon support.)

Savan.

QeS lagh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level