tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 19 06:03:53 2004

Re: glottal stop in spanish?

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am 19.01.2004 06:34:54, schrieb Alan Anderson <[email protected]>:

>According to my high school Spanish teacher, an excruciatingly correct
>pronunciation would *never* put a glottal stop in front of a word beginning
>with [silent] "h".  Someone asking /'abla espan~ol/ would be

...be what?
(I don't want to argue, I'm just curious and would like to hear the rest of the sentence ;-)

>The way I understand it, Spanish "agua" can get the glottal stop sound in
>front of it *because* it lacks a leading "h".  It's like an anti-letter.

Since it was me who mentioned this in the first place, I need to make some additions too, I guess.
I'm not so sure if you need to say /'agua/ or /agua/, if it's /'ablas/ or /ablas/ - (we learn klingon here, not
spanish) - I only used this example to make clear that one doesn't say /hhhahablas/, but without an 'h'
and this >>"sounds approximately similar to"<< a glottal stop. It's not identical!
When I look at the phonetic IPA transcription in my spanish dictionary, there is not one single glottal
stop at all.
It shows "hacha" like [atSa] not ['atSa]

Okay; said, done.

>We have it a lot easier here.

Yes, indeed! Just read what is written.

Quvar.